Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Dizzying levels of "............. "

Such phenomenon is rarely seen that linguists ( or lexicologists ) decided not to bother people with another adjective. Even writers, in their imaginative world, couldn't have nearly conceived of a person, who clearly doesn't fit in this world.

Grigori Perelman, an obscure Russian mathematician, who solved a century old Poincare conjecture, declined to accept two of the prestigious awards in Mathematics, the Fields Medal and most recently the Millennium prize for the same.

All he had to say

"I'm not interested in money or fame. I don't want to be on display like an animal in a zoo."

"I'm not a hero of mathematics. I'm not even that successful, that is why I don't want to have everybody looking at me."

Please... I just can't take it. After performing an imaginary version of "We're not worthy" ritual similar to one from "Wayne's World" , I proceeded to look for similar people, who seem to jump out of fairy tales.

Two people stand out,

Lê Ðức Thọ - Apparently declined his Nobel peace prize in 1973, stating that there was no peace in his country then(Vietnam)

Jean Paul Sartre, declined his Nobel Prize for literature, stating "A writer must refuse to allow himself to be transformed into an institution, even if it takes place in the most honourable form."

Thankfully these people failed miserably in their efforts to be unpopular.

Sylvia Nasar and David Gruber weave an interesting story in "The New Yorker" with events surrounding the proof of Poincare conjecture. It's a must read !

No comments: